• Motorcycle's History

    Wooden motorized bicycle was named Reitwagen (riding car) and is the world's first motorcycle. Maybach try Reitwagen distance of 3 miles along the River Neckar, from Cannstatt to Untert├╝rkheim, with a speed of 12 kilometers per hour ...

    read-more
  • Ariel

    Ariel is a brand of bicycle, motorcycle, and automobile-based British Bournbrook, Brimingham, England. In 1902, Components Ltd. has 2 divisions Ariel: Ariel Cycle Company and Ariel Motor Company. Ariel Cycle Company of concentration on the production of motorcycles, three wheel motorcycle, and Quadracircle (four-wheeled motorcycle) while the Ariel Motor Company to concentrate on automobile production. Automobile production was moved to Coventry in 1911. The company name is then used again in 1999 to Ariel ltd as a manufacturer of sports cars....

    read-more
  • BSA (Birmingham Small Arms)

    BSA was founded in 1863 and began motorcycle division was established in 1880. The first motorized bike was launched in 1905 with a small Minerva engine attached to it. BSA has a good reputation for a reliable bike and successfully grow with the introduction of S27 (also known as a model Sloper). It was produced for 10 years and is available in 350cc, 500cc and 595cc engines. Throughout the production of slightly modified so that the original design became popular...

    read-more
  • Excelsior

    Excelsior 7-C made ​​in 1913 is one of the motorcycle models from Schwinn Excelsior brand owners. Excelsior is one of the biggest names in the early days of the motor industry, and its popularity to compete with Indian and Harley-Davidson...

    read-more
Previous Next

History of Ariel Motorcycle

Posted by Welcome Bikkers! On - - 0 komentar


Ariel is a brand of bicycle, motorcycle,and automobile-based British Bournbrook,Brimingham, England. In 1902, Components Ltd. has 2 divisions Ariel: Ariel Cycle Company and Ariel Motor Company. Ariel Cycle Company of concentration on the production of motorcycles, three wheel motorcycle, and Quadracircle (four-wheeled motorcycle) while the Ariel Motor Company to concentrate on automobile production. Automobile production was moved to Coventry in 1911. The company name is then used again in 1999 to Ariel ltd as a manufacturer of sports cars.

The company was first established in 1870 by James Starley (1830-1881) and William Hillman to make bicycles.

Ariel made ​​the first bicycle for men in 1871 and 1874 for women. Ariel's name comes from the first penny farthing bicycle Ariel (taken from the name of the currency penny). Because the bike is very light so they named it Ariel's "spirit of the sky". The size of a penny farthing bicycle front tire is 48 inches (122cm) and 30 inches (76cm​​) to the size of the rear tires.
 

In 1874, the center of the bicycle industry was in Paris before switching to Starley of Coventry with the discovery that made ​​him nicknamed "Mr. Bicycle Industry. " The effect is, the UK led the development of the motorcycle until the 20th century.
The company joined Westwood in 1896. In 1897, Charles Sangster joins the company as Director of Cycle Components and start making the designs. William Hillman left the company and joined the Premier Morotcycle.
In 1898 the company bought a bike Cycle Components Ariel and put the engine on the De Dion tricycle. Machines placed in front of the rear axle, rather than depending on the back like on the other trikes that time. Trike (three-wheeled motorcycle) is the first Ariel motorcycle, motorized de Dion to 2.25 horsepower, which was launched in the same year, 1898.


In 1901, two-wheeled motorcycle Ariel first launched, with Minerva 211 cc engine with a power 1.5 horse power.




In 1902, Ariel Kerry sells motorcycle engine (built since 1901) with innovative magneto ignition (magneto ingition) and the carburetor float. This year, Ariel was also issued motor single cylinder 239cc engine Minerva capable of producing power 2HP.
In 1903, Ariel uses a single side-valve engine capacity of 249cc powerful 2.25 HP with camshaft having a worm gear mounted on the back of a vertical cylinder.




  In 1905 (another version mentions the year 1910), Ariel was taken over by Charles Sangster who then build three-speed motor, two steps, with the clutch and kick starter, and marketed under the name "Arielette", but still a small factory that was forced to close due the outbreak of the First World War.


In 1918 (another version of 1910), Jack (son Sangster) take over and develop a bicycle-powered 4-horsepower motor White and Poppe engine capacity of 498cc which proved to be successful and become a reference for subsequent Ariel motorcycles until 1926.




Ariel V-Twin engine with AKD and MAG are also available during this period. Jack did increase the scope of his motorcycle in order to sell 586 cc engine and 992 cc. The machines used are the machines that are purchased from other producers or booked on another machine maker.



  In 1926, he persuaded the JAP designer Val Page to join the company to be able to design their own products. In those days, it looks like pirate-hijacked culture experts are common. In that year, Page design and build machines from parts of existing machinery which was completed in 1927. Year 1826 - 1930 as a period of darkness called Ariel.


 Ariel joined a company called Components Ltd.. but this attempt failed and in 1930, Jack is able to regain control and establish a new factory in Birmingham. One of their first bike is the Ariel Square Four engine capacity of 500 cc that was designed by Edward Turner and launched in 1931.

 Four Square was changed to 600 cc. This motor has a overheating problem with the rear cylinder resulting in distortion of the cylinder head. Current business making purses Jack thicken until the company can buy the Triumph in 1936. Meanwhile, Ariel Square Four designing back in 1937 to produce machines with a capacity of 995 cc OHV version with code 4G :


After Ariel Square Four, Edward Turner also designed the Ariel Red Hunter:

During World War II, the factory Ariel switching function on military production, including war motorcycle Ariel W / NG 350 based on the type of Red Hunter dengann ground clearance (the distance to the ground) is higher.
In 1944, the company was sold to BSA and 500 cc KH model is produced, along with a stronger Huntmaster, which has a BSA A10 650 cc engines are modified. Huntmaster proved reliable and able to travel a distance of 100 miles per hour (160 km / h), which became popular for fans of sidecar.
In 1953, Mark 2 Square Four had designs on the back of his head cylinder so that it can reach speeds of 100 mph.
Red Hunter became the basis of Sammy Miller's experiment in 1955 which proved successful in the competition.
In 1956, Jack Sangster (which is currently sold Ariel and Triumph to BSA was not just selling but join in it) defeated incumbent leadership of Sir Bernard Docker BSA to score a landslide 6-to-3. As a leader, Jack Sangster appoint Edward Turner as head of the automotive division in charge of Ariel, Triumph, and BSA. BSA and then decided to close its factory in 1963 to move production to Small heats.
In 1959, Ariel broke with tradition and produces Ariel Leader, 250 cc two stroke engine which combines the advantages of an all-out motorcycles with advanced scooter.

 
In 1967, Ariel produced their latest motorcycles, Ariel Arrow which reduced its capacity

And in 1970, BSA issued a motorcycle with the name of Ariel 3, a small trike with a capacity of 49 cc, 2-step. Motorcycles are also not very successful in the market as evidenced by the short duration of production.
 

Categories:

Leave a Reply